Monday, April 4, 2011

The Roadtrip - Day 4

A trip back in time, back to days of innocence and absolute stupidity ... a trip back into the years of a 10 year old. The first three days had little to do with that, I've remembered a few places but nothing more. When we left Bonn and drove into the wonderful Westerwald, I hid one memory after another.

"OH, that's where we went for a school trip." "There, thats where I learned to swim." "Here I had to catch freakin horses twice in a row because I was an idiot."

Stuff like that sticks and it was pretty amazing. Being in Bad Marienberg was probably the weirdest, cause the things that had changed were small, but I could remmeber everything, where the ice cream parlor was, where the docs were and where I ran into a glass wall because I thought there was nothing there. We shopped some, drank some and discovered some.

1. The people here are friendly, way more than what we are used to in the last few years.
2. Mondays. Restaurants, Cafes and some other stores are closed.
3. Not only people, but also shops take a lunch break for 2 hours, making it impossible to do anything.
4. I love books even more when they are cheap.

The bookstore wasn't that big, but they had enough books to make me happy and for mum and dad to shake their heads in disbelieve. "You have enough books." :P YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH.
Getting a tripod, a book and clothes was a lucky hit, if I can say so.
We left BM around 3pm, driving to Steinebach, a little ...village? I remember living there for a little while, driving around with the neighbor kid, making his mum mad at me because her son listened to me and jump of a little wall. What an idiot.
When I was a kid, we drove around a looooot, but to me those routes seemed endless, taking up hours of my life. But when I saw the signs: "Elkenroth 2km" all I could think about was, what the fuck? I drove this route so many times, always sleeping through it because it was so long, but it was only 2km? Maybe it was this.
So much green :O I love it, hate the ticks but love the green and the smell.
We planned on going to Steinebach, but mum being smart said there won't be anyone there yet (they were waiting for us at that point) so we drove to Elkenroth. I didn't see anything worth remembering in the town before, even though I spend about 3 years there playing soccer, but nooo I didn't know where we were until we hit the sign that told me I'd arrive home.
Everything changed, more houses, more cars, more people. Trees were missing, garden gnomes hidden and the strange people lurking. It was weird being back, everything had looked so much bigger when I was small and memories hit me every meter that we moved.




It was spontanous but a good idea to go there today as well as tomorrow. I was so out of it that mum had to take the pictures. I couldn't believe how things had changed, how things had stayed the same over 10 years and how I still could remember so many things from when I was young. When we went to a family from back when we lived there, I couldn't help but stare at the kitchen, at the hallway, at the garden, everything even the smell was the same and it was wonderful. Of course, now I understand what my parents meant with Elkenroth being pretty small, I can see that with my own eyes now, but it was a good time back then, staying in a place so green and natural. There were people who remembered us and even greeted us like we've never left, which was funny, cause we didn't remember them.
Steinebach was a little different, I can't remember much of it but what I remember wasn't always good. We are staying with very good friends, but looking at the place here at the house we lived in ... how the hell did we stand it? Theres nothing worth calling cool here. Nothing worth being printed on a postcard. That's probably why we went out to eat. It was great, eating at the greek restaurant where we had eaten so many times before, where I've always ate the same: Salami Pizza. And it was cool how we sped up and down the hills with a BMW ... I think mum and dad were getting sick from hitting the curves that hard.

Tomorrow its going to be Elkenroth again, Mannheim and stuff in between. Surprises for me I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment